My journey in India starts with a lot of noise, love, comfort, family but I venture on to Osho where I plan to take a journey inside and be still and at peace :)

Sunday, March 02, 2008

WOW! My last post was almost 5 months ago. A lot has happened in the last 5 months, both in the spiritual world and my physical world. I am not much into sharing my inner journey any more. It's becoming more and more personal and intense and I feel that sharing such experiences tend to leak my energy. Just want you guys to know that i am happier and stronger than I've ever been before. I still have no idea where life is going but I truly believe it's flowing in the right direction. In the meantime, I've found myself a lovely partner to flow along with me. Eran has wrapped up his life in Israel and now we are on this journey together. I have to admit that I had really come to enjoy being alone without feeling the need to be constantly with someone, friends or family or boyfriends. WHen I truly started to enjoy my aloneness, this beautiful man came into my life. I truly love him a lot and we have a really intense and wonderful time together. So, now i have left the ashram and am on the travelling circuit in India again. This also means I'll be writing my blog more often and adding more pics. I do have a link to my blog on my facebook in case you want to read about my whereabouts.

So, currently i am in Varanasi aka the city of death. It's a holy city for Hindus and they believe that if they are cremated in Varanasi, then they will get out of the cycle of life and death. The city is built along the banks of the river Ganga, which is the holiest river in India. ONe can safely say that it is also one of the dirtiest rivers in the country. The belief is that if you come and take a dip in the Ganga three times, then all your karma is washed away (at the same time you get covered with a gazillion tons of lethal bacteria most of it from fecal matter as all the city's sewage is dumped directly into the river).

The thing to do in Varanasi is to go along the seawall by the river Ganges and enjoy the sights. Except it's unlike any seawall you've walked along. In Vancouver, you would see people roller blading, biking, running, at the most you'll see a bum or two doing something out of the ordinary. Varanasi is a bit different. I saw baba's (indian sages) meditating under peepal (indian variety of a tree) tree, people swimming in the river while a dead body is being cremated on the shore, people playing cricket as another dead body is being carried to its funeral, dogs, goats, cows, buffalos, shitting everywhere. Little kids and puppies all fighting over the same food in the garbage, all shitting in the same places, all being ignored the same way by their mothers. Not much difference between animals and humans here at all. Children swimming in the river as a dead cow floats by. People washing there clothes, and the professional launderers at work. People shitting everywhere, men with barely any clothes on, scratching there balls, peeing where people are walking, men hacking and spitting just inches away from you. You have to be constantly watchful of where you are stepping, not just that you might step in a pile of fresh shit, but also because I almost stepped on a human skull!!!

Finally, we arrived at the place where there is a body being cremated around the clock for centuries. THis particular ghat is the most auspicious place to be burned. I have never seen death taken so lightly before. While one pyre is being lit, there are about 3 other dead bodies being readied for the funeral. There is a certain sweet smell in the air and ofcourse a lot of smoke. I saw a body being burned but it's feet were sticking out from under the wood. One of the guys in charge came with a stick and just shoved the feet inside with a stick. It is so bizzare the way they are so out of touch with reality. Or it makes me think am i the one who is out of touch with reality. To see death this up close and personal, one is almost forced to live. Really live in the now and here. The energy is so intense in this place that this deep silence just descends on you. It's really hard to talk and really there is nothing to talk about. It's hard to eat or drink anything coz I feel like there are dead people everywhere. It's like I would be getting there energy inside me if I eat. I feel like I can see auras everywhere but at the same time it's not unsettling. SOmething very calming and quiet about it.

Well I've had a fill of this city and i think it's time to move on. Now, I'll be moving on to the Himalayas to the city of the source of Ganga. Hopefully Ganga there is a bit cleaner than the one I've seen so far. I'll be travelling for a month or so in India and then me and Eran are thinking of going to Israel. After Israel, it'll be off to Europe where we are just gonna rent an RV and drive around until we find a place to make our home. SO far we are thinking some place in the south of Spain but who knows!?!! BUt I am ready to have a home base now. I am looking forward to sharing my life with a beautiful partner and creating a home together. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: